My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May 4, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 11 - Namche to Lukla

May 4, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 11 - Namche to Lukla

Woke, packed, and breakfasted by 7:30.  Left Namche around 8:30.

The trail is VERY UP AND DOWN. VERY.  Arrived at See You Lodge in Phakding around 12:30 exhausted and hungry.

I have met some really interesting people on this trek.  All different kinds from all different places.  A reason I love traveling.

This has got to be the best diet plan known to man.  11 days of hiking in beautiful country and you can order ANYTHING off the menu for your meals.  I guarantee you come back in better shape.  And altitude tends to curb appetite!

At one point today we had to wait about 20 min for a long line of donkeys to cross a bridge.  There had to be about 80!

A funny - while we were walking along the trail we were trying to pass a group of jopkey and at JUST the right moment the jopkey stepped on a small water line and sliced it open.  Water sprayed all over poor Phurba.  I got to watch all of it happen right in front of me.  He was a bit shocked but we both got a laugh about it later.

We arrived in Lukla around 3pm.  Today was a day full of accomplishments.  Not only did I make it to Everest Base Camp and back, I have also finished a stick of chap stick before losing it!!!

Its been a long 11 days. I'm spent and exhausted and my body aches all over.  But I got up close and personal with the tallest mountain in the world.  What a journey!  I'm ready for a nice long hot shower and fresh clean clothes!

Accomplishments, Personal Bests, and Records:

Longest single trek I have ever completed - 11days ~80miles
Longest time without a shower - 10days
Highest elevation I have hiked to - ~18,000ft
Longest time I went with out changing clothes - 2 sets of clothes for 16days
Longest I have been without shaving - 16days
I'm a little bit proud of myself! :-)

What I have learned:  Ball point pens don't work real well at altitude.  I thought it was running out of ink but now that we are lower its back to being fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment