My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Sunday, May 12, 2013

April 22-23, 2013 - Everest Base Camp Trek Prep

April 22-23, 2013 - Kathmandu, Nepal

When I originally left home Nepal wasnt even on my probable list.  Nor, did I plan to do any real serious trekking.  However, as the plan came together I prepared in different ways.  When I booked the trek I immediately bought good hiking shoes so I could begin to wear them in. 

In Kathmandu I spent a day gathering all the other things I would need that I did not have.  Below is my packing list and the things I picked in Kathmandu. 

 The trekking company rented for me: 
Sleeping bag
Down Jacket

I purchased in Kathmandu:
Small dry bag
water proof pack cover
warm tights
wind/water proof trekking pants
2 thick socks
polarized sunglasses

I already had and packed:
2 t-shirts
1 thermal sweater
1 long sleeve shirt
6 undies
gloves
sun hat
beanie
steripen/batteries (sterilize water)
Camera and extra battery
Scarf/sarong
2 normal socks
1 Set of Pjs
First Aid Kit
Deck of Cards
Lady Necessities
1 Book
1 Journal/Pen
1 Box of granola bars
3 Candy bars
1 rain poncho
1 deodorant
1 pack of baby wipes
1 pack of dryer sheets (keep things smelling fresh)
1 Hair Brush
Toilet Paper
Sunscreen
Anti bacterial hand gel
Toothpaste/brush
Hiking boots
20 tablets of Diamex (For the Altitude Sickness that may be possible)

In normal life I would have physically prepared for a trek like this as well.  I would have climbed the stairs at the stadium and carried weights around in my backpack.  Alas, I am not living a "real" life and will just have to wing it, struggle through the tough stuff, and hope I make it.



What I learned:  I thought I was signing  up with a group trek.  Turns out its just me and the guide.  And since there are less than 2 people on the trek there is no porter.  I will be carrying my own stuff up the mountain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment