My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

April 24, 2013 - Everest Base Camp Trek Day 1


April 24, 2013 - Everest Base Camp Trek Day 1 - Lukla to Phakding

I woke at 4am to get ready, finish packing, and get to the airport.  At 5am, when the taxi was supposed to pick me up, all the doors where locked and I had no way to get out of the building.  I had to search around and knock on doors to find someone with a key to let me out.

After that it was a smooth ride to the airport and onto the plane.  Lukla, Nepal is often referred to as one of the most dangerous airports in the world.  Its a tiny runway and is built on a slant to help slow on landing and speed up on take off.  The end of the runway is either cliff or mountainside.









In Lukla, my guide, Phurba, found me and we went for breakfast.  Lukla is at about 2800m (the conversion is 1m=3.3ft, Ill let yall do all the math).  After breakfast we immediately began the trek.  The goal for the day was to reach Phakding at an elevation of about 2600m.

Along the way this super cute little sherpa boy gave me a flower. And we also stopped for milk tea at tea house called Lama Lodge.








Lots of suspension bridges along the way.


So far the trail has been highly developed with stunning views.  Around 10:30 am we arrived at See You Lodge which also happens to belong to the family of my guide. The first thing I did was curl up in my room for a nap.  I was exhausted from the early morning and trekking.

Around noon, Phurba woke me for lunch. On the menu, Dal baat and tea.  The Dal baat is a local dish consisting of a potato or veg curry, lentil soup, and rice.  The best part is that it comes with unlimited refills.  Perfect for the hungry trekker.

I lounged the rest of the after noon, read my book, and updated my journal.  For dinner it was macaroni with tomato and cheese sauce and another milk tea.



I was given a small room upstairs with 2 beds and a window looking out over the river.  That evening they fired up the wood stove and I sat and read Game of Thrones by the fire.  It really is quite chilly already, but I can hear the river running in the background.






What I have learned:  There is a hairy cow looking animal that the sherpas are using a pack animals.  They are not yaks but Jopkey.  I am told the yaks have much much more hair.

I found the yeti too!  He was chilling out inside, very modern.


P.S. Just to save time Everest Base Camp with be shortened to EBC.  I'm lazy.
Also, the journal I kept while trekking is random and full of wandering thoughts as well as the experiences. I'm just copying it as is.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have read your article, really nice information you have shared about Nepal adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I have read your article , really nice information you have shared for travelers.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jordan! May I know how much youve paid for the guide? And will it be cheaper if I were to go in a group rather than going alone? Thanks. I enjoyed reading your EBC journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Simply amazing. Very thorough brief of your Everest base camp trek from the beginning. We also too took small flight to Lukla and took a rest day at Namche bazaar. It was an awesome experience to explore the local Nepali culture, clicked beautiful photos and enjoyed every moment of the trip.

    ReplyDelete