My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Monday, May 20, 2013

April 28, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 5 - Debuche to Dingbuche

April 28, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 5 - Debuche to Dingbuche

Another filling breakfast of eggs, toast, potatoes and coffee then we set off at 8:30 towards Dingbuche (ding-boo-che).  It was another gradual up and down morning.  When we started heading up up up we stopped for lunch in a little village called Syomare.  I ate a tasty milky potato soup and milk tea.  Im really enjoying the milk teas!

Today we are able to look down at the clouds and all the helicopters flying through the mountains.  And there are a lot of helicopters that come and go!

After lunch it was more up.  Not as bad as yesterday but still up.  We crossed above the tree line as well.  Only snow, shrubs, and rocks from now on.

It always surprises/impresses me what some of the porters are carrying up and through the mountains.  Today I saw a guy carrying 10 2x6 planks of wood! Crazy!  My trip, if there had been more than 1 person, would have supplied me with a porter to carry our stuff.  However, its just me and Im carrying my own gear.  The guide has offered to help me carry some stuf...but seeing as how the challenge has presented itself I have to give it a try.  The airport scale said it was just over 10kilos (about 23lbs).

Today I paid 200 Rupees for a liter of water, thats about $2.50.

What I have learned:  All the buddhist shrines and temples and flag poles along the trail are always passed on the left side.  Its the same thing as walking around it clockwise.  Even if its out of the way, the people will still climb extra steps or walk a long way around.

We arrived at Sherpa Land Lodge in Dingbuche around 12:45pm.











And im tired!





The wind is super strong and I can hear the roof rumbling.  I plan on finishing my book in the next 2 days so I dont have to lug it around anymore.  And I have also eating my second candy bar.  The bag is gonna be loosing weight like crazy!

I'm starting to smell my myself today.  Mostly, I smell like feet...ugh.  Though the babywipe baths have been doing a good job of keeping me fairly clean.  They cant wash my hair so I will be wearing a hat from now on.

I spent the afternoon reading and chatting with some folks in the common room. Dinner was Dal Baat and I planned to meet the Colombians at their place for cards later.

So around 7 I walked through town to their place and us 3, an american, and a spanish guy all played a bit of phase 10.  The walk down to their place was beautiful.  It was dark but the mountains had the last touches of daylight reflecting off them. Then the walk back was really dark and starry.  So many stars! I turned out my light and just stared into the sky for a while, taking in the view.



What I have learned: The Sherpas are named after the day of the week they are born on.

No comments:

Post a Comment