My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Sunday, May 19, 2013

April 26, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 3 - Acclimatization in Namche


April 26, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 3 - Acclimatization in Namche

Today is reserved as an acclimatization or rest day.  This is to let your body catch up and get used to the altitude.  Going up slow is supposed to be the best way to beat the serious altitude sickness that some people get while hiking.

I, of course, had the big breakfast.  Eggs, toast, hashbrowns, coffee, and hot tang.  After we hiked up a little peak near Namche. All I could think on the way up was "dang this altitude", because I was definitely breathing harder than I should have been.   This is where I got my first glimpse of Mt. Everest....just before the clouds moved in and hid it.  And it still looks soooo far away. But it does make it official! I have now seen my 4th of the 7 natural wonders of the world!!!!  The view was BREATHTAKING (or perhaps that was the altitude, heh), it was mountains at all 360 degrees.







There was also a small sherpa museum we visited with some typical home utensils, some facts about the mountains, the flora and fauna, and the history of the Everest expeditions.




After a rest, reading, and lunch we headed to the Namche Bazaar.  Oh for lunch I tried the Tibetan bread with my soup.  It was a lot like a funnel cake.  And funnel cake for lunch is exceptional!  Its lucky that we happen to be here on a Friday because the Bazaar only takes place Fridays and Saturdays.  It was full of people buying and selling foods, candies, grains, household utensils etc.







I spent the rest of the afternoon reading.  Dinner was more Mac and cheese with mushroom sauce.

What I learned: Mount Everest is locally known as Sagarmatha.

No comments:

Post a Comment