My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Saturday, May 18, 2013

April 25, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 2


April 25, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 2 - Phakding to Namche

We head for Namche today at an elevation of 3440m.  It was breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast and we were on the trail by 8am.







We stopped for lunch in Jolle at River View Restaurant.  Had tomato soup with chapati (bread) and tea.  Its already looking like all the menus will be either soup, rice, potatoes, or pasta.







The terrain has been very up and down.  Its like we gain a lot of elevation just to immediately descend and do it all over again.  Phurba says after lunch its allllll up hill to Namche.

Its very sunny and warm but cool in the shade.  I am thankful for the sunscreen and sunglasses right now.

Side note:  The batteries for my steripen didn't charge at the hostel.  It looks like Ill be buying bottled water for the rest of the hike. Closer to base camp the water is supposed to be 300 Rupees.  That's almost 15x the price in Kathmandu.  Today I paid 150 Rupees.




We have arrived in Namche and OUCH!  He was right! We hiked straight up! The total elevation change for the day was 740m.  My legs hurt, my feet hurt, and towards the end I had to stop and rest a lot. Thank goodness tomorrow is an acclimatization day.

Dinner was the Dal Baat again and we are staying in the "Comfort Inn".

What I learned:  The national flower of Nepal is the Rhododendron.  They are in full bloom at the moment and spot the mountain with bright pink, light pink, and white flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment