My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May 2, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 9 - Gorek Shep to Kala Patthar to Pangbuche

May 2, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 9 - Gorek Shep to Kala Patthar to Pangbuche

I have found it!!  My mental hiking limit is around 8 days.

I was meant to wake at 5am and climb the Kala Patthar Peak for a view of Mt. Everest.  However, not even halfway up and 50 minutes into the hike I decided I wasn't having fun anymore and I was done.  It probably had something to do with the fact that it was below freezing as well.  I don't like the cold.

But I had reached my goal yesterday so I was happy to turn back and crawl into the sleeping bag for another 30 min.  And I made it high enough to see Mt Everest well enough to satisfy me.


Cloud covered Everest at 5am!



Clearing up a lil bit. 


Really cold and tired, but Mt Everest is the background.  Excited!



I have also gladly passed of my sleeping bag to Phurba to carry.  It makes my pack MUCH lighter!  I will have it noted, that I did indeed carry it all the way UP! :-)

What we did in 8 days on the way up is only gonna take us 3 days to get down.  It's going to be a very long couple of days.

After breakfast we started our way back down.  At 9:45 we arrived in Lobuche and stopped for tea.  Lunch would be in Pheriche.  It was another 2 hour hike to Pheriche and then another 2 hours to Pangbuche.

After lunch in Pheriche it started to snow and rain lightly and it got SUPER cold.  I cant complain too much considering all other days have been sunny and nice.









Sooooo cold!







Ah and Martha! The bag is much much much more comfortable now!  Thanks for the pointer!

My feet hate me and I really stink.

What I have learned:  Since they are above the tree line in a lot of the upper villages they burn yak poo instead of wood.  So lately, in the evenings they have been filling the wood stoves with poo and a little kerosene and burning that to keep the place warm.

Also, when a small package of tissues is almost $3 you get really good at snot rockets!

No comments:

Post a Comment