My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

April 29, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 6 - Acclimatization Day in Dingbuche

April 29, 2013 - EBC Trek Day 6 - Acclimatization Day in Dingbuche

Dingbuche is at an elevation of about 4400m.  That's around 14,600ft and a new record for me.  This is now the highest elevation I have been at without having been in some sort of aircraft.  Its also high enough to call for another acclimatization/rest day.  Though, I wouldn't really call it a "rest" day.

We were up early with breakfast of eggs, toast, potato and coffee (seems like that's all I eat for breakfast).  Not a cloud in the sky and the sun feels fantastic.  It was a cold night!   Our rest day consisted of climbing the little mountain behind the village.  I didn't have to carry my pack so I guess it was a LITTLE bit like rest?!?!  The hike itself wasn't too bad and we made it a ways above the small stupa.













I also finished my book, Game of Thrones, today.  My pack will now be 780pages lighter.  Lunch was a new one! Sherpa stew.  A curry sauce with noodles, rice, veggies, potatoes and little spice to it.  Yum!!!



I played cards all afternoon and evening with 3 Australians and a Nepali guide.  He taught us a new fun game.

What I learned:  The Nepal card game - Everyone gets 5 cards.  Each numbers card is worth its face value in points while the Ace is worth 1 and the face cards are worth 10.  The goal is to get 5 or less points in your hand.  You do this by putting down single cards, doubles, 3 of a kings, and runs of 3 or more of the same suit etc.  When its your turn you throw down the cards u dont want anymore and you have to pick up one, either from what the person before you threw down or from the cards the are left over from the deal.  You want to work towards pairs or triples or runs bc that will allow you to throw down more cards giving you less cards in your hand and eventually lower points. Its fast paced and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment