My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Thursday, April 4, 2013

March 28, 2013 - Auckland Coast to Coast Walkway, NZ


March 28, 2013 - Auckland Coast to Coast Walkway, NZ

In Auckland it is possible to walk from coast to coast in a single day.  The tourism group has even put together a well labeled walking route that includes hikes up two extinct volcanoes, through several parks, universities, historical sites and even herds of sheep.   On my last day in NZ I walked this 10 mile urban hike.  I started in the city center on the North coast at Viaduct Bay and finished in Onehunga Bay on the South coast.  I got off track only once coming down from Mt Eden.  The trail split several directions and I obviously chose the wrong route.  However, with the map they had given me I was back on track in no time.




Maungawhau Summit (Mt Eden) 196m above the city.







Maungakiekie Summit.  Covered in sheep and Maori ruins.






Cornwall Park



Rugby fields



Historic buildings


The walk took me 4.5 hours at a leisurely pace while also enjoying the parks and scenery.  At the last park on the route I bought an ice cream sat in the grass and gave me feet a rest.





I caught the bus back to the city center and my hostel (Nomad's Fat Camel).  I interneted for the afternoon, shuttled to the airport, showered there and jumped a flight to Hong Kong!

What I learned:
Ice cream can make your feet feel better.
I absolutely LOVE New Zealand! So much so that I have filled out a working holiday visa.  I have yet to submit it but there is a good chance Ill be back to this place soon.



1 comment:

  1. I love how you are starting to use some 'foreign' words and sayings in your blogs! Just normal everyday talk for you now you probably don't even notice it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete