My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Sunday, April 21, 2013

April 10 - 12, 2013 - Udaipur, India

April 10 - 12, 2013 - Udaipur, India

I arrived in Udaipur in the early afternoon and got checked into the guesthouse.  From there I went to lunch at a rooftop restaurant overlooking the lake and city.

A chipmunk was running around the restaurant. Cute! Or cute until he managed to JUMP from the table next to me to MY table and try to snag some of my naan.  I will have NAAN of that (hehe).  I freaked out and screamed.  That made the chipmunk freak out and run from table end to table end before he jumped down and scampered away.  Naan saved and chipmunk spared.  He didnt go away though he just kept watching.  I thought that brave little guy deserves some naan, so I tossed him a couple pieces.  Now everyone was happy!


The little sucker is just about to jump on my table!



I then visited the Bagore - Ki Haveli.  A haveli is an old indian home.  Some have been transformed into guesthouses, some are museums, and some still have families living in them.  This one was now a museum.  I got to try on different turbans AND I got to see the largest turban in the world!!!






Then I wandered over to the City Palace and took a guided tour.  Of course, I could take pictures of the inside.  But here are some of the outside.









From the city palace I thought I could find my way back to the guesthouse.  Given my navigation skills and the fact that I had only been in the town for about 5 hours its no surprise I got a little lost.  Though it wasnt a complete disaster.  I did meet an interesting (to say the least) man that told me he could smell my positive energy and proceeded to read my palms.  I kinda got to thinking he was a little crazy but be did mention some stuff that is true.  Though it could have been a lucky guess.  I mean who doesnt quit their job to travel the world for a year and not expect "big changes for the future".

He also said he had stones that could fix my imbalance.  I just thanked him for the tea and continued my search for the guesthouse...dont worry, I found it...with the help of a tuk tuk driver.

Udaipur was also celebrating the Hindi New Year.   That night while I sat on the roof top restaurant of the guesthouse I got to see the sun go down as the town lit up.  All with giant fly foxes over head and singing, music, and fireworks all around me.  A fantastic feeling.

April 11th:
This was another day of relaxation.  All I did that day was walk to and through the local temple.  And that night I attended a cultural performance at the Bagore - Ki Haveli.  This featured various dances and skills from surrounding villages.
I also joined up with 3 other girls to go on a day trip to visit Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur the next day.







What I learned:  Some people can balance 11 jugs on their head and dance on glass at the same time.  That person is not me.

1 comment:

  1. Recently visited Udaipur. Loved the place to the core. Lake Palace view was amazing. Stayed at a resort and accommodation was wonderful and the resort has the best restaurants in Udaipur too.

    ReplyDelete