My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Sunday, April 21, 2013

April 16 - 17, 2013 - Jaisalmer, India - Camel Safari

April 16 - 17, 2013 - Jaisalmer, India - Camel Safari

Us 3 girls signed up for a 2 day/1 night camel safari in the Thar Desert. This is the highlight for a trip to Jaisalmer.  That and the legal special lassis. Haha.  The safari would include all meals and transportation as well as cots to sleep in out in the desert.

I was unbelievably excited about sleeping under the stars!

The day started at 7:30 and we were driven by jeep out to the middle of no where, as far as I could tell.  But there were 2 young men there with 4 camels.  They loaded up the camels with food, water, and then us.  Each of us girls got our own camel.  I rode around on lucky most of the time.  I rode rocket for a bit but I couldnt move my legs without him freaking out and starting to run.  Crazy camel!!

The first camel journey was about 2.5 hours where we unsaddled the camels, rested and had a simple lunch.  Food was homemade chapati and greens.  Yummy!  We then rode again for about 3 hours where we stopped for the afternoon/night to camp in the sand dunes.  Dinner was homemade curry, chapati, and rice.  Some other guys came by and I bought a round of pepsis for everyone.  Considering the lead camel driver said he only made about 1500 ($30US) rupees a month in salary, I think it was a treat for them.














I seem to have an ability to acquire nicknames.  On our one day trip I was Jordy, in Jodhpur I was baby, and now on the camel safari I have been named Hero?!?!?  That came from the fact that if I owned a camel that's what I would name it.

The guys set up our cots with blankets and pillows right on a sand dune! It was pretty awesome.  We stayed in the shade most of the day until it started cooling off in the evening.






After dinner we layed in the cots and watched a first the moon and then thousands of stars appeared.  In the middle of the night, after the moon went down, the starts were incredible.  I wish I had a camera capable of capturing the beauty but all I got was black with a little light here and there.  The stars were countless and bright! We literally slept in the middle of no where on a sand dune.  Amazing!

The next day I had camel leg.  haha, aches in my legs from riding the camels for so long.     We all had to take breaks that day to get off the camel, walk around and stretch.  We rode 3 hours that morning then stopped for lunch.  After lunch and a little rest in the shade the jeep picked us up and took us back to town.

What I have learned:
Camels are super weird animals.  As if the continual farting wasnt enough.  They have weird back legs, and humps, and they sit in a way that looks supremely uncomfortable.  They also have bad teeth and extra padded area on their chest for when they are sitting weirdly on the ground.   AND riding a camel is painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment