My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Sunday, April 21, 2013

April 13, 2013 - Udaipur to Jodhpur, India


April 13, 2013 - Udaipur to Jodhpur, India

Today was a long journey from Udaipur to Jodhpur.  It started out with a tuk tuk ride to the bus stop/travel company.  Here they checked our tickets and left us with just the stub.  Our stub said seats 23, 24, and 25.  When it comes time to get on the bus the seat numbers only go to number 19.  With our bags already loaded up in the luggage compartment we opted to just sit anywhere rather than get off and try to figure things out. Luckily, that worked.  We had a good laugh that our seats didnt even exist but that no one seemed to mind.

Ah, yes! I should mentioned I have signed on with 2 other young women traveling on their own as well.  I met them the day before yesterday and we have had a barrel of laughs so far.

The journey was to last 6-8 hours.  We got on the road around 8am and didnt bank on getting to Jodhpur anytime soon.  Half way through the drive we stopped at a roadside shop to take a break.  Here I decided to brave the bathroom, not really sure when we would arrive at the next available toilet.  It compared to some of the worst ones in Africa and I held my breathe while taking care of business.  Once done I tiptoed to the door not knowing exactly what I had been stepping in.  I reached the steps and, since my shoes where wet, slipped halfway down the stair case (thank goodness it was only about 5 steps to the bottom).  I jammed my finger and scraped my arm but other than that I was fine.  Well, except for the thought of what it was I had slipped through on my way down.  I tried not to think too much on it.  And again the girls and I had a real good laugh!  Allllll typoes will now be blamed on the jammed finger rather than my laziness. :-)

I now know why it didnt matter what our seat numbers where.  Loads of people continuously got on and off the bus.  Some stuffing 5 or 6 to a sleeper seat!  And have I mentioned that its HOT here in India! The temperatures are now reaching over 100F!!  I drink lots of water and usually just bum around in the hottest parts of the day.

We finally arrived to Jodhpur and checked into a nice guesthouse situated at the bottom of a large cliff.  The best part is that on the edge of that cliff is a huge fort! Its lit up beautifully this evening as I type.  Dont worry there is a picture below! Be jealous!





Sandra, one of the girls I am now traveling with has had stitches in her hand.  After checking in we sought out a doctor to remove those stitches. The guesthouse staff told her that the guy at the pharmacy down the street could do it.  We made out way down there.  He didnt agree that the stitches should come out today but cleaned and wrapped her hand and told her to come back the next.  But not before he told me I looked like a little baby.  Hahahaha. OK!?!??!  After a little laughing we said that it was supposed to be a compliment.  Ill take that as a sign of my youthful beauty?!
Tomorrow we explore!

What I learned:  Pee is slippery.  Watch your step.

I love Masala Chai!


No comments:

Post a Comment