My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Friday, October 4, 2013

September 13 - 20, 2013 - Sucre, Bolivia - Part 2

This week was a celebration called Entrada del Virgen de Guadalupe.  Its an annual event were people dress up and dance in a 2 day parade.   The entire week before has been devoted to practicing. Almost everyday you could hear or see groups practicing their dances and music in the streets.

The first day, Friday, was mostly the children's groups.





That night we went with the Spanish school to Bertha's house to cook up some Bolivian food.  Our Spanish school, as of now, consists of Joep, Trina, Nick, Sharon and I.


 Here is Trina sniffing the lettuce for freshness (and laughs)





 The next day was the main event.  Hours and hours and hours of music and dancing.  Thousands of people lined the streets to watch.










That Sunday we all went to play Wallyball with Bertha and her family again.  Its volleyball but in a racquetball court so you can bounce the ball off the walls!  Super fun.  And then our crew cooked out again. Yum!





 On the 16th Joep and I walked up the hill to a cafe overlooking the city.  We played a game of chess....he won. BARELY! :-)





 On the 18th we visited the Sucre Cemetery. Supposedly the largest cemetery in all of Bolivia.  The place was beautiful almost park like.  Some of the tombs where larger and fancier than some of the houses in town.




 This one made me laugh because along with fresh flowers they left a cigarette as well.



After the cemetery we visited Parque Bolivar.  Where we acted like children by sliding down the big dino slide, swinging on the swing, and climbing the mini eiffel tower.







Later that week we had one last group dinner with the spanish school and we had a big night out for my last night in town.  We got "kicked out" of the hostel. haha.

*Joep and Nick have started calling me Chancho.  Thats pig in spanish!

On the 20th I caught a short flight to La Paz to meet up with Jim (a goo friend I met in Kentucky) for the next 10 days.  There had been protests and road blocks that week and a flight was faster and more reliable than the bus.

I was really sad to leave Sucre and my friends but excited to travel with Jim.


If you are interested in doing some one-on-one spanish lessons in Sucre, Bolivia check out this website:

http://www.sas-school.com

Talk to Bertha.  The School is super flexible and has some great people and great events to go along with the lessons.








1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a fantastic time in Sucre! I'm living here at the moment and absolutely love it. Would very much like to be here for Entrada del Virgen de Guadalupe. And how great is the dinosaur park...makes me wish I was a kid again :) Great photos too btw.

    ReplyDelete