My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March 9 -10, 2013 - Getting to Australia

March 9 - 10, 2013 - Getting to Australia

At the beginning of the this trip I didnt even have Australia down as a possibility to visit.     Seeing as how so many people had good things to say about it and it was the best way to see the Great Barrier Reef, I thought I would give it a try.  So on the 9th I left Malaysia and headed towards Cairns, Australia for a 3 day 2 night live aboard SCUBA trip. 

The route would be KK, Malaysia to Singapore for a 5 hour layover, to Darwin, Australia, and finally Cairns, Australia. The flight from KK to Singapore was short and easy.  And since the Singapore airport has lots and lots to do I thought a 5hr layover would be rather enjoyable.  The only thing I had to that was a bit annoying was go through Singapore immigration retrieve my luggage and then check back in with the next airline/flight.  I did all the immigration stuff and got around to checking back when Oops, I did it again!

It has happened once before where I was unprepared to enter a country and I did this for Australia too.  I had no idea that I needed an Visa before hand to enter Australia. So there I was at the airport check in counter and I had no visa.  Thankfully, Australia makes it rather easy to obtain a visa and I could do it all at the Customer Service desk.  Whoa, that was a close one.  It was one of the those wiping sweat from your forehead moments. 

With visa completed I went back through the check in line and actually got to check in!  Slept just a bit on the way to Darwin and lil on the way to Cairns. On the plane I met a gentleman that told me to be absolutely sure to declare all the food I had on me else I could be stuck with some serious fines.  With this in mind I declared the box of jelly beans I had on me.  They were the delicious Jelly Bellies and they were just too good to throw away.  Nope!  That was the worst choice.  Since I had declared the jelly beans I had to have a little interview with a customs officer.  This meant waiting in another line,  putting my bag through another scanner, opening my bag up, showing him my knife, a swab drug test on my bag, some questions on what I was doing in the country, showing him my SCUBA dive license, etc.  He didnt even LOOK at the jelly beans.  Geez.

By the time I checked into my hostel in Cairns I was exhausted.  All the I did that afternoon was sleep, shower, and go to the grocery store for food stuffs.  I had to be up and at the dive shop at 6am so after making myself dinner at the hostel I went back to bed.

What I have learned:  You need a visa to get into Australia. Toss the jelly beans when going to Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment