My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Friday, March 1, 2013

Feb. 26 - 28, 2013 - Manila, Philippines

Feb. 26 - 28, 2013 - Manila, Philippines

The 26th was a very chill day.  Did a little shopping and some laundry.  Oh and I picked up my Indian Visa! Approved for entry.  I will try not to complain too much as I am still able to visit India and am thankful for that.  But the embassy messed up my travel dates and Ill have to leave India early.  They would do nothing to try to fix it.  I had already booked a flight out of India on April 28th.  I turned that flight itinerary into them and put that on the application. Somewhere along the way there was an oops and now Ill have to change my flight to April 20th.  That was their only solution to the problem.  Grrrr.  Oh well, like I said, I still get to go and I still get to do the 7 day tour with my mom!

The 27th we opted to visit and hike the Taal Volcano.  A still active volcano in the middle of a lake about 60km south of Manila.  It was quite a chore getting down there.  First we caught the local bus to the city, then a tricycle to the boat launch, then a boat to the island with the volcano on it.  It took us about an hour to hike to the top.  It wasnt a difficult hike but it was rather hot.  I didnt realize how active the volcano was but there were steam vents along the way letting out sulphur smelling gases and steam.  Once to the top you could see the water in the crater boiling up from the depths.  It was a really pretty view.  Then we had to make our way back to Manila.  Hehe, this was even more of a chore.  We caught a local bus to Manila, then tried to hop a Jeepney to Robinson mall but that didnt work, so then we finally opted for a cab to take us to the hostel.  And then we finally got to eat some food.  And then finally got to take a shower! Wahoo.



There is an island in the middle of the lake that is in the crater of a volcano that is also in the middle of a lake. 



If I look sweaty its because I am. It was hot. 




See the boiling water?!




I went out with some friends at the hostel that night.  We listened to some awesome live music.

I have a goal to see all 14 natural wonders of the world.  The 7 original and the 7 new.  below is list of my progress.

Original 7 wonders:
Aurora Borealis, North - ??
Victoria Falls, Zambia - Done
Grand Canyon, USA - Done
Port of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - ??
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia - March
Volcano, Mexico - ??
Mt Everest, Nepal - April

New 7 wonders:
Table Mountain, Cape Town - Done
Underground River, Puerto Princesa - Done
Ha Long Bay, Vietnam - Done
Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil
Komodo, Indonesia
Amazon, South America
Jeju Island, Korea

The 28th was nothing but packing and watching a movie at the cinema.  The latest Die Hard movie.  Oh and we tried Halo-Halo which is a Filipino ice cream dessert.  It consists of purple yam ice cream, ice shavings, bits of jello and weird fruits, and sweetened beans.  We caught our flight to Brunei at 11:40.

If you ever travel to the Philippines be ready to pay a 550 peso departure fee in cash.  That's sneaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment