My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

March 20 - 21, 2013 - Taupo, New Zealand


March 20 - 21, 2013 - Taupo, New Zealand

On the 20th I took the 7:10am Intercity bus to Taupo, NZ.  I arrived around 9:30am and had a bum day! I played on the internet and I did laundry.  Well, I walked around town a bit and along Lake Taupo.

The hostel:


Back to budget eating and peanut butter:



On the 21st I embarked on a breathtakingly beautiful hike to Huka Falls.  Huka falls isnt a large waterfall, its actually quite small.  What makes it stand out is the light blue color and the amount of water passing through such a small gorge.  The entire river squeezes down to about 20 - 30ft across and carves through a gorge before spilling several meters down.  Once again, just look at the pics below.





















On the way back I took a dip in the natural hot water spring that feeds into the river.  Perfect after a hike.

Small world moment!  In my dorm room that night I met Jo, a lady that had just completed an overlanding trip in Africa with the same company I went with and even the same driver! We had a great time swapping stories.

I visited the grocery that night to prepare meals and snacks for my 20k hike up to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.  On the way back was the most spectacular sunset.  The entire sky was bright red and the clouds perfectly accented the sun.  And of course I left my camera at the hostel.  You will just have to take my word on this one that it really was a fantastic site.


What I have learned:
New Zealanders prefer to call themselves Kiwis and each a funny accented "bro".
A Kiwi is one of the many animals only found in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment