My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Jan. 7, 2013 - Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Jan. 7, 2013 - Phnom Penh, Cambodia

We took a 6 hour bus ride from Saigon to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia, this morning.

Visa Fee: $25
Exchange Rate: 4000 Riel = 1 USD, but they also accept US dollars

It was quick and easy border crossing.  We arrived in Phnom Penh around 12:30 and immediately hit up one of the food stalls for some grub.  It was a chicken soup with a rice type filler rather than noodles.  Delicious.

We wandered around town after that and hit up the national museum and the Phnom Wat temple.







Our tuk tuk ride.  For $4.50 a night our hostel provides free laundry and free transfer from the bus station!



Our free tuk-tuk ride to the hostel.



We rested up a bit at the hostel and then went out to the night market.  They were selling all kinds of things.  I got a t-shirt.  They were also selling food.  Alene and I each got something different and tasted each others stuff.  I ended with a big spring roll, a skewer of wontons and a skewer of some chicken patty looking things.  All of it was delicious and it came with a salad and sauces with a total of 5000 Riel ($1.25).  They had straw mats laid out on the ground in a big central area with all the food stands around it.  You slip off your shoes and sit on the mat to eat.  We also got to dry the Durian.  The great big green stinky fruit that you hear about on TV.  It was stinky and while I didn't love the taste it was alright.  Ill give it a second chance to see if it grows on me.  And the best thing about the night was the juice I got.  It was sugar cane and lime juice.  Super refreshing.


What I have learned:
My bag is much lighter once I mail off a huge box of stuff that I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment