My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Friday, January 18, 2013

Jan. 13, 2013 - Cambodia to Thailand


Jan. 13, 2013 - Siem Reap to Bangkok

Visa Fee:  Free 15 day tourist visa
Exchange Rate:  30 Thai Baht = 1USD

This was close to a 8 hour bus ride.  We were picked up at 6 and got on a huge bus.  This bus dropped us off at the border.  We navigated through all the immigration lines, received our visas and then met back up on the Thai side.  Here we were divided up and put into a smaller van.  The van had no leg space.  Luckily the piled all our big bags in a seat but I had to ride with my day pack in my lap for over 4 hours.  I was VERY ready to get outta that van once we got to Bangkok.  We found a cab to take us to our $10 per person per night hostel.

I am not joking when I say I felt like this place was a 5 star hostel.  Yes, we shared a room with 6 other people but the beds where super comfy.  There was air conditions and nice fluffy duvet and personal night light and electric outlet.  Our floor had its own laundry room and TV room where you could borrow movies from the large collection in the lobby.  The bathroom had about 20 showers, 20 toilets, and 12 sinks,  no waiting for the shower to be free.  There were even hair dryers!  Downstairs in the lobby was a cafe, a restaurant, a tv/social area, and a free internet cafe.

After that long ride we didnt do much and this was a GREAT place to relax.

What I have learned:
You get a 30 day visa if you fly into Thailand, but only a 15 day visa if you cross a land border.  Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment