My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Monday, January 28, 2013

Jan. 25-26, 2013 - Mekong River Cruise

January 25, 2013 - Mekong River Cruise

Breakfast was from 7:30-8:30 so it was an early morning. The hostel returned our passports with Laos Visas now attached.

Laos Visa Fee: $35
Exchange Rate: 7800Kips = 1USD

We were transported to the river taxi and boated across the river to Laos.  We disembarked and waited in line to get out Laos entrance stamps.  Then we waited. And waited.  Then were transported to a little restaurant.  Then we waited. And waited.  Then at almost 12 we were told we could board our slow boat.  There are a lot of people on this boat and its a bit cramped but the scenery is beautiful!  Its nice to get some fresh air.  We will be on this boat for 6.5 hours today and another 6.5 hours tomorrow.

I was sure to buy a seat cushion for 40Baht.  Just in case the boat seats where rock hard.  I picked out the blue one with hearts on it.  However, upon closer examination there were little cartoon maggots in the hearts and wording that said "In love" and "Maggot". It just made me laugh.  And it continued to make me laugh every time I looked at it for the next 2 days.






A random lady on the boat was sharing her fried mill worm looking things.  Of course, we gave em a try.  Not tasty at all.



OH!  I have happy and exciting news! My good friends Sara and Steve are getting hitched and Sara has asked me to be a bridesmaid.  This gonna be a spectacular wedding as these two people are amazing individually but will be even better as a happy married couple.  I cant wait to celebrate with them.  AND they have decided to wait til 2014 for the wedding which means Ill be back in the states!!!


Jan. 26, 2013 - Day 2 of Mekong River Cruise

I did my budget last night.  Its looking beautiful.  For Asia Im at $54.30 per day.  That's almost half of what I have allotted.  And that makes me very happy because as I have mentioned before I want to go back to Africa and do the West Africa trip, London to Ghana and that starts Nov. 1 and ends in early January.  If I keep saving on my budget I may be able to keep on going. :-)  I have also told myself if for some reason I cant find a job after a year and a half of not working then I will just go back for my MBA.  Life just works out so perfectly sometimes.  It makes me smile.

Its day 2 of our cruise.  We arrived at the boat early to get our choice of seats.  We did NOT want to be in the back of the boat near the bathroom and the unbelievably loud engine.  This time we have seats near the front that recline.  Though the folks behind us are pretty close so I dont think we will be reclining too much.  Its also a bit misty and foggy today which gives the shore and hills around the river a cool quite feel.







What I have learned:
Apparently, its not uncommon for people to die on the speed boat tour to Luang Prabang.  We have seen them whiz by wearing helmets!  b

Fried worm things arent good eatin'

No comments:

Post a Comment