My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Dec. 16, Johannesburg, South Africa


Dec. 16, 2012 - Johnnesburg, South Africa

Today is the last day of our African Trails tour.  We should be rolling into Jo-burg in a few hours.  Time has flown by and I cant believe I have almost spent an entire 12 weeks in Africa.  It has truly been an amazing eye opening experience and journey.  I have seen sooo much since Sept. 29.  I would recommend to anyone this overlanding trip.

The last few days have been spent mostly in transit to Jo-burg.  The past two days have been really long drive days without activities.  On the 14th we did one last game drive through Addo Elephant National Park.  The coolest thing about this park was the huge number of elephants romping around.  At one water hole they had a fenced off "hide".  You could walk down close to the water and sit in a blind and look out the little slit in the walls and watch the elephants drink eat and play in the water.  Along the path way down to the blind there was an elephant eating about 5 feet from the wall.  It was scary to be so close to a huge wild animal with only a wood fence and a few electric fence wires between us.   We were so close that when the elephant farted we smelled it!!!!! At that point we had to try really hard not to laugh and startle the animal.






I have to come back to Africa.  I want to see the rest of it soooooo bad now.  I talked with a women who has done the west Africa trip and said it was amazing.  Its gonna be a bit tougher and she at times all they had to buy at the store was tomatoes and onions.  They have to dig the truck outta the mud and sand but it seems like such a cool way to really dig into Africa.  There is another trip starting Nov. 1....maybe I can stretch my money that long....maybe...hopefully!

What I have learned:
The turtles here are huge.
I love Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment