My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Saturday, November 9, 2013

November 3 - 6, 2013 - Back to the Ranch, Argentina

November 3 - 6, 2013 - Back to the Ranch, Argentina

Nov. 3:

I took the bus fro El Calafate to Rio Gallegos.  The plan to meet Trenton here and hitch a ride back up to Puerto San Julian.  This was a win-win.  I got to hang out with my friend one more day and I save a few bucks on the bus ride from Gallegos to San Julian.  Perfect!

Nov. 4:

Only there was a catch.  Due to protests in the north of the country there was a shortage of fuel in the south of the country.  Long story short.  I ended up back out at the ranch until the fuel trucks could get through.  But Im thankful it happened!  On the way to the ranch we picked up 2 hitch hiker.  I know most of you think this is crazy, but in Argentina its quite common for people to hitch.  I have met many people only traveling by hitch hiking.  The buses in Argentina are rather expensive so it makes a lot of sense.  Anyways,  they ended up being quite fun people. Camile and Clem (French names so it may be misspelled) are from France and have been hitching for about a month in the Patagonia region.  While talking during the drive they mentioned how much they had wanted to visit an Estancia (aka sheep ranch).  Wellllll, it was their lucky day!  So they joined us out at the ranch.

Nov. 5:
I got up early to ride horses with Lolo, the gaucho at the ranch.  Gaucho is the Argentine word for sheep ranch professional.  I was up by 6:30 and on a horse by 7.  During his morning rides he searches for evidence of Pumas and any problems with sheep or fences.   This morning, though, all was well.  I was put on a huge horse called Rosado (Pink in english) and was rode one pasteur for a little over 3 hours.  Lol, ouch.  My knees and back were sore after that.  But from past experiences, I would definitely want to be on the horse rather than a camel or elephant!  We did get to see lots of little baby rheas.  Cute!  Just look at the this little guy?!
 

In the afternoon all 5 of us piled in the pick up and drove out to a windmill.  A couple of sheep had been found drowned in the water tank and so the plan was to fence in the tank to avoid the issue in the future.  Here are Trenton and I and Camile and Clem with our very first hands on sheep fence!



Later we moved some hay from the big barn to the horse barn.  Real ranch stuff! Yessss!







That night Camile, Clem and I cooked up dinner.  Well, maybe I should say Camile and Clem cooked.  I just assisted in boiling water and chopping garlic.   The fish was tasty!  But I wouldnt expect anything less from French folks.

Nov. 6:
The fuel shortage is over and I can continue on with my plans! We arrived at the bus station in San Julian and I hopped at bus to El Bolson where I will meet up with Trina!  But its a long, long, 20 hour journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment