My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

August 24 - 25, 2013 - Lima, Peru

August 24- 25, 2013 - Lima, Peru

August 24: 
A dear friend from my days in Kentucky, Brittney arrived super early in the morning.  Around 5am I think.  I didnt even hear her come into the room at the hostel.  So, she hopped in bed and got a couple hours of sleep.  We woke and had breakfast of juice, coffee, bread and jam.  We got organized and figured out all we wanted to see in Lima.  

Our first stop was the Huaca Pucllana ruins just a couple blocks from our hostel in the Miraflores area. These ruins predate Macchu Picchu and before the excavation started it was used as a motocross track.  It was used at a religious site and they estimate that many many more bodies remain buried within the structure.  







 They had a Peruvian hairless dog!











Then we headed off for some traditional Peruvian Ceviche and Pisco Sour at El Mar.  This restaurant was rated top in Lima for ceviche.  And the place was hopping! We had to wait for 45 minutes for a table.  Fortunately, there was room at the bar so we found some chairs and ordered a Pisco Sour.  A Pisco Sour is a typical drink of Peru made with Pisco (a type of brandy), sugar syrup, lemon or lime, and egg whites. 



Here is a recipe. 

3 parts Pisco
1 part sugar syrup
1 part lime juice
 1 egg white
 Shake!
 Add just a drop of bitters


We also got the meet a local couple that gave us some good tips on other things to do in town, in south america, and what to order.  

Once we got our table we ordered the ceviche sampler.  For 59 soles we got 5 different types of fancy ceviche with different fish and seafood.  TASTY! 




Following all the food we took a walk along the coast line.  Lima is situated along the coast but high up on cliffs. So the view is spectacular.  The city has also place parks all along the cliff edge.  











August 25:
Today we headed out to see the old city center.  We arrived just in time to watch the changing of the guard as well.  Perfect.  








 Sand wishs....hehe!



We had a cab driver take us to a park with local vendors set up selling food.  We shared a chicharon plate with corn and a salad.  

Afterwards, we headed to a local craft market.  Im on a mission to find a new scarf and towel since I forgot mine at the hostel in Mancora.  Im a bit devastated, those have been prized possessions since the start of my trip! hehe.  I supposed its a good excuse to buy new souvenirs.   I didnt find what I wanted here but Ill keep looking.  

We then packed up our stuff and headed to the bus station.  We got there with plenty of time so we just sat down to relax for a bit.  At one point Brittney went to get a tea and was gone for a few minutes.  BUT during that few minutes I was almost ROBBBBBBED!  Yes, robbed.  Geeez.  I was sitting there with our big bags in front of me and my little bag sitting next to me on the ground.  While I wasnt paying attention a guy snuck by and grabbed my small backpack and made for the door. LUCKILY, another guy saw him do it and he alerted security.  The guy dropped my bag, thank goodness( it had $500, my passport, all my cards, e-reader and tablet....my life basically), and started running off. About 30 minutes later the security guy returns and tells me they have caught the guy and I need to go meet the police.  At this point I have 30min until my bus leaves.  He tossed me in a cab nonetheless and we went to were they had caught the guy.  I gave my info and showed the police the bag and then returned to the station just in time to catch my bus.  My poor friend was sitting there not knowing what happened...she didnt know they had put me in a cab and left.  I am so fortunate that everything turned out ok though. Sheeeeesh....I supposed I learned my lesson. I will now be keeping a much closer eye on all my bags. Again, I am so thankful I was able to get all my stuff back.  I would have been in a pickle if I had lost it all.   

Side note to family:  If this story makes you worry, dont.  Remember that time in college were someone broke into our house and stole all of my roommates' and my stuff!?!?  Just a lil reminder that the same kinda stuff happens back home too. :-)  Oh and Ill start wearing my money belt while traveling.  Rest at ease.  

As soon as I returned to the station we loaded the bus and headed towards Cusco...an estimated 22 hour ride.  The  bus though was pretty comfy again.  The seats reclined to 160 degrees, there are legs rests and we were fed dinner and breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment