My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Aug 4 - 8, 2013 - La Ciudad Perdida Trek - Day 4 and 5

Day 4 - Rumauldo to La Ciudad Perdida and back to Cabana Gabriel

Today is the day!!!!  Its another early start.  We leave camp at 6:15am.  We follow along the river for about 20 minutes then we reached a tough river crossing.  We have crossed the river several times already.  Some have had just enough stones sticking up outta the water to hop across and some we have taken off our shoes and waded across barefoot.  But this the first one with some fast moving water.  Where, come to find out, people have been swept away to their deaths.  Fortunately, they have tied a rope across the river to help ya keep your balance.  It was still a bit scary though.



Camp had a 3 legged cat!





Once across the river and your shoes are back on you immediately hit the infamous stone staircase.  Its 1200 small, uneven, slippery steps to the entrance of La Ciudad Perdida (LCP from now on).  The most interesting thing is that these steps are original! Its a 500 year old staircase!








At the top it opens up into a clearing where you can begin to see the stone circles where houses used to be.  The initial stone circle is where the people entering the city were cleansed and welcomed. All in all it was about an hour to the entrance.





The LCP complex is huge and it continues on for a long way passed the entrance. We spent about 3 hours wandering around the complex, taking in the scenery, and listening to the history and facts about the place.

Lots and lots of photos of the complex.


































After the city tour we trekked back to camp and had a hearty lunch and short break.






 We were on our way back down to Cabana Gabriel within the hour.  It made for a very long day.  We reached camp around 3 and just chilled out of the afternoon.   It was a total of about 7 hours and 10kms of trekking.

The bugs are now practically eating me alive.  I'm itchy.  My legs and my feet have been ravaged.  I also have the beginnings of blisters on the backs of my ankles.  I suppose that's what happens when you have to wear the same pair of hiking socks for almost a year.  I think its time to invest in some new socks.

Day 5 - Cabana Gabriel to Mamey Village

 I caught a photo of some Kogi Indian boys looking at a book.


 And that's the only photo I took that day because....well...it was all the same stuff just in reverse.

The final and toughest day, 6 hours and 15.7kms! I thought it would never end!  We left camp around 6:45 and went for a solid 3 hours before we had a break and a snack at Cabana Adan.   It was another 3 hot and STEEP hours up and down to Mamey Village.  Id never been so happy to see concrete in my life!!!!

But we did it! And it was an amazing experience.

We lunched and rested and made the long car ride back to Santa Marta.  I took the longest cold water shower of my life and it was magic. I also approximate that I have about 100 bites on my feet and legs.  I'm now wearing cortizone like its body lotion.  But it was worth it.  A challenge is always worth the struggle!!

I'd like to say Hi! and Thanks! to all those is my trekking crew.  It was a real pleasure getting to experience this with all 9 of you.  And an extra special thanks to "Mary"  for saving me from the "wild boar".  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment