My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Aug. 2-3, 2013 - Santa Marta Colombia.

In Cartagena I had to catch the "Metro Car" bus to the main bus terminal.  It was a 40minute $1900 Peso ride (slightly less than a dollar).  Once at the terminal I grabbed my bags and searched for a the next bus leaving for Santa Marta.  I didnt have to search far.  So for 25,000 Pesos I boarded an air conditioned mini bus headed to Santa Marta "directo".  I asked if I had to change buses in Baranquilla because typically you do but the guy said so and that made me happy.

I guess he was right, I didnt have to switch buses but we still stopped in Baranquilla for 30minutes and then made a tour around town picking up anyone that wanted to go to Santa Marta. Ok, well, note to self, "directo" doesnt mean what I was hoping it meant. Anyways, everything worked out fine and I still got to Santa Marta at a decent hour.   I checked into my hostel and chilled for the evening.  First solo bus ride in South America was a success.

This morning I had and the free breakfast as the hostel.  Toast, eggs, coffee and a bed for the night for $10.  Not too bad.

I hung around the hostel for a bit getting caught up on some things...like this blog and trimming my finger nails and semi packing for the 5 day hike to La Ciudad Perdida (The Lost City).

Then I wandered through the city.  The ocean is only 2 blocks from the hostel.  I had lunch along the shore.  The portions here in Colombia are massive!  It was nice to have friends in Cartagena to share the meals.  Now, I just have to leave some behind.  I think very few people can fit a chicken thigh, rice, beans, platano, salad, a bowl of soup and a lemonade in their belly for lunch ($4US!).  It was super tasty though and the ocean breeze was a nice touch as well.

I walked to some of "attractions" in town which, of course, include the ocean avenue, some large parks and some statues.  It's hot here. Very hot.  And the heat made a nap necessary.

I leave tomorrow for a 5 day trek through the Tayrona National Park to the Lost City.  Ill have more information and the city and lots of pics from the experience up when I return.  Note to family: that means I will be out of contact for the next 5-6 days. Dont worry about me too much.

Here are some pics of town:











My hostel - Candela Y Chocolate:





What I have learned: "Directo" may or may NOT mean direct.  I think its a gamble on what you will actually get.


OOOOHHHH and I have some good news to share! My New Zealand working holiday visa was approved!  That means I can travel and work in NZ for a year.  I have until June to enter the country and a year after I first enter to stay and travel and work! I'm reallllllly excited about this.  NZ has been one of my favorite stops on this journey and I look forward to more adventures in the country! 

1 comment:

  1. I have a REALLY good friend in NZ! I hope to go visit her next year! I would love a working visa for there...

    ReplyDelete