My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Aug 13, 2013 - Zipaquira, Colombia

August 13, 2013 - Zipaquira, Colombia

I took a day trip from Bogota to see the Salt Cathedral in a town called Zipaquira.  From Camilo's house I took a cab to El Portal Norte (4000COP). Once there I had to figure out where the bus to Zipaquira was leaving from.  After asking around for a bit and getting on one bus that took me a block up the road and dropped me off I was in the right spot...I thought.  I waited and waited and waited.  I got to looking around and no one had waited as long as I had.  Sooooo....I finally asked one of the bus drivers if Zipa was the same place as Zipaquira.  Of course it was and of course I has already seen about 10 of these buses pass by.  I hopped on the next one and was on my way.  The fair for the 45 min ride was 4100COP.  And the bus guy was even nice enough to come get me when we were at the right location.  

Zipaquira itself is quite cute.  But its known for the Salt Mine and the cathedral built into the salt mine.  I took yet another tour in spanish.  Still only got bits an pieces and the information.  Check out the pics of the place.  Pretty cool and different from anything Ive seen before.  The Cathedral is under the ground and cut out of salt.   











 Random light show at the end of the tour.







After the mine I got on the "train" that takes tourists through town.  I met a women from San Antonio that insisted on taking lots and lots of pictures of me with my camera.  It made me laugh...but the pics turned out cute.  











I also met some other folks that I ended up joining for a late lunch and for the ride back to Bogota.  I got off at the wrong stop in Bogota.  I ended up in their bus metro stop and had to pay to get outta the place...oops! But simple enough. 

Overall, a great trip.

HUGE thanks to Camilo for going out of his way to make me feel welcome in his home and in Bogota! And thanks to Rodrigo for putting me in touch with his friend.  I really had a fantastic visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment