My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Monday, June 3, 2013

May 24 - 29, 2013 - Wroclaw, Poland

May 24 - 29, 2013 - Wroclaw, Poland

Exchange Rate: 1USD = 3 Zlotych
Visa: None

May 24:
I took the train to Wroclaw, Poland today.  Figuring out the train system around here is only moderately stressful.  But once you understand it its great.  I wish the USA had such a great system of public transportation.

It was a 6 hour ride with 2 different transfers involved.  I think I ended up taking the long way around.  Anyway, I arrived and thanks to directions from the hostel took the metro to Boogie Hostel near the town main square.  And with a hostel friend, went out for a Polish meal.  We decided to get 3 different things and to share them all.  We ended up with potato coins, stew in a bread bowl, and something else ( I cant remember at the moment).

May 25:
This was a bit of a bum day as well.  I woke late, showered and took a long lunch at a cafe.  Afterwards I just walked around the main square and hiked to the top of the church tower to look out over Wroclaw.




















This night was the night of the big European soccer finales.  The hostel was showing the game and I joined in on the "excitement" of the crowd.   It was two German teams playing each other, Dortmund and Bayern.  The Dortmund team had a couple of Polish players so of course that's who the crowd was cheering for.  Unfortunately, Dortmund lost.  I hit the hay after the game.

May 26:
I tired to go on free walking tour with 2 girls I met in the hostel.  But it turns out that in Wroclaw the tours are only on Saturdays.  We  made our own walking town nonetheless.

We visited the university museum and climbed the tower at the university.








We found a couple of the gnomes that the city has placed around in various locations.




We visited a couple of churches and cathedrals.  And wandered around some of the islands in the river.






We also sat down and had Pierogi for lunch.  This is  a typical polish dish consisting of stuffed dumplings.  Very much like the momos in Nepal.

For the night we met back up with other folks from the hostel and their friends.  We tried a variety of beers from the local brewery including a honey, chocolate, and caramel beer.  Yum!

May 27:Yet another calm day. I think I may be a bit warn out from all the traveling.  Just went for another long lunch, interneted at the hostel, and finally went out for dinner with 2 fun folks from the hostel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment