My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Monday, June 17, 2013

June 7 - 8, 2013 - Gdansk, Poland

June 7 - 8, 2013 - Gdansk, Poland

June 7:

First things first.  I had to eat lunch, so I went to the local "Milk Bar".  Originally, back in the day, this was a place where people could get their milk and  a cheap meal.  Today, you can still get a rather cheap meal.  However, these places don't have English menus which I knew would be rather difficult.  I just had to point at the things I wanted and I have to say it turned out pretty dang tasty!  I cant tell you what exactly I ate but it looks to be stewed cabbage, giant breaded meatball and potatoes! YUM!



I wandered around town on my own for a bit but decided I wanted to go on an organized tour.  I stopped in at the local info office and got on an English tour.  Sweet.  She took us all over the main part of town and made so recommendations of other places nearby that we should visit.








As part of the tour we got to see some raw amber.  Poland is famous for amber and the jewelry they make with it.  We learned that real amber floats on water while fake amber sinks.  And that there are 3 main colors of amber found in the this region, but many MANY different colors in the world.






June 8:
This day I went on the pirate ship tour of the river and bay.  We saw the shipping port, the Westerplatte memorial, and all the main square buildings.  Did you know that Gdansk was once one of the largest shipping ports?











The tour guide came to talk to me, I guess because he notice I was paying attention to his English version of the tour.  He asked where I was from and when I told he said "I thought so". When asked what he meant by that he followed with "Americans are always interested in the tour. The Brits are only interested in the bar" HAHA!!

What I have learned::
All the TV shows have been dubbed over. However, the same voice is used for all the characters and there is zero emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment