My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Monday, June 3, 2013

May 20 - 24, 2013 - Prague, Czech Republic

May 20 - 24, 2013 - Prague, Czech Republic

Exchange Rate: 1USD = 20 Koruna
Visa: None

May 20:
I arrived in Prague and checked into the hostel.  I didnt know what to expect but this place was amazing!  Huge restaurant and bar on the ground floor and  my 6 bed dorm had its own bathroom and remote control blinds.  The lights and A/C even knew if you were in the room or had the windows open.  I immediately met the 2 American guys staying the room and I went out with them for my first Czech meal.  I had Pilsen beer and meat dish and a side of potatoes.

That night the 2 Americans and the Brazilian guy in our dorm all joined the pub crawl together.  This tour cost about $20 and included 1 hour of unlimited beer/wine a tour to 4 local pubs and a free welcome shot at each of these locations.  It was quite a fun night!  Our pub crawl group was teeming with Canadians.

May 21:
The next day the 3 of us (1 American and the Brazilian) went on the Free Walking tour around town.  Its free and the tour guides just work off of tips at the end of the tour.  We walked around town for about 3 hours and learned a bit of local history.  The tour finished near the Charles bridge and we opted to take the stairs to the top of the tower for a look over the city.  And it was another great Czech meal to end the day.


 This is some guys arm.  The church cut it off and hung it from the ceiling when they caught him stealing from the church.





  

 We watched the astronomical clock.  Voted one of the most overrated attractions in Europe. haha.

 Some guy got his head stuck in this statue last year!
 The Prague Castle from across the river.

 Charles bridge.











That night it was a very touristy but delicious dinner at the square.





May 22:
I just chilled.  After a couple weeks of fast travel.  I wanted a day to relax and get caught up on a few things.

May 23:
I walked through town on my own and visited the Prague Castle. This place was huge and it took me a good couple of hours to see all of it.  The most exciting part though was that I got to shoot a crossbow!   Yeah!  I totally missed the target on the first try but the next two actually hit the target.  My castle ticket included the cathedral, the prison, the Golden lane, the basilica of St. George, and the Royal Palace.




The cathedral.







 The old palace


The basilica.









 Golden Row.



 I got to shoot a crossbow! What?!










On the way back I stopped to try a Czech bread spiral thing.  See the picture.  Its a sweet bread with cinnamon and sugar and quite tasty!




What I have learned:  The pilsen way of brewing originated in Plzen, Czech Republic many many years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment