My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Monday, December 23, 2013

December 7 - 10, 2013 - Rio De Janeiro, Brasil

December 7 - 10, 2013 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Brazil requires a visa for US citizens before entry and are pretty stringent on the documentation that is needed.

I had to fill out and online application and make an appointment as the local embassy.  In my case, the Brazil Embassy in Buenos Aires.  I had to provide:
Credit cards
Bank statements from the last 3 months
And entrance and exit ticket for Brazil
My Passport
A recent photo
And proof of a hotel reservation

I was also charged 1092 Argentine Pesos which is about $182US or with the black market rate about $120US.

My flight from BA got me into Rio around 2am and after immigration, baggage claim, and taxi ride I finally got to bed around 3am.  I immediately went to sleep.  Later that morning I woke just in time for breakfast which included cakes, juices, fresh fruit,ham, cheese, bread, and jam.   This was a surprise and a huge step up from the included breakfasts in Argentina.  I then went right back to bed for a nap.

That afternoon I walked to the Copacabana beach and soaked up some sun and waves.  I had a good time checking out the local beach life.  People everywhere, people selling foot and drinks and sarongs and new swimsuits.  There were people swimming, sunning, surfing, running, skating, working out, playing the interesting volleyball game with out the use of their hands (no wonder Brazil is so good as soccer).  They were literally spiking the ball with head bumps, serving the ball with kicks, and bumping and setting the ball with feet, knees, shoulders and chests.  Impressive!

That night I met some folks at the hostel happy hour and we went out for Caipirinhas ( a local favorite) and some live music.

December 8:
A group of us went to Ipanema beach.  Just a bit bit further down the shoreline from Copacabana. After a few hours of sun some folks went to shop and Lou and I went wandering around town.





Probably one of the funniest things of the day was this!  Guess someone upgraded their couch.



After a few stops for Acai, a frozen treat made from the Amazonian Acai berry, quite tasty and healthy, I think (I hope, I ate a lot of it), we made it to the lagoon.  There were lots of people floating around in the water in paddle boat swans...soooo, of course, WE had to do it too.  Less than 10 bucks for a 30minute joy ride around the lagoon.  We made a goal of reaching the Christmas tree in the middle.  That proved to be a little more difficult than we first thought.  Not only was our swam really difficult to steer but the peddle part had no peddles just thin metal bars. So we zig-zagged our way to the Christmas tree just in time for some great sunset photos and my first view of the Christ the Redeemer Statue on the Corcovado hill.







December 9:
Today we visited the Parque Lage and climbed the Corcovado to see The Christ the Redeemer and the Bay of Rio.  It was a very steep 2 hour climb to the top.  Once there we were the only people that were sweaty and stinky and in work out clothes.  Everyone else was dressed nicely and was put together.  We just looked like bums. Hah.









The Harbor of Rio is the 5th Natural Wonder of the World that I have seen.  2 more to go!

December 10:
We stopped for Acai and then visited Lapa (a neighborhood in Rio).



The Arches:




And the stairs:






This one translates from Spanish to:  There are 3 things that can not be taken back, the spoken word, the launched arrow, and the lost opportunity.

We also went to the Botanical Gardens.  I had a lot of good laughs with my new friend Lou.












No comments:

Post a Comment