My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 7 - 26, 2013 - Cartagena, Colombia

I have been in Cartagena, Columbia for 3 weeks now.  I reallly love this little city.

 I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and checked in to a hostel just one block from my spanish school in the old city.  I stayed there for the first 5 days while attending class.  I attend Centro Catalina Language School from 9am-12:30 Monday- Friday.  And I have signed up for 4 weeks of class.  Some of the students change each week and we have anywhere from 3-7 people in class at a time.  The class is completely in Spanish.  That is until it comes right down to me not knowing at all what a word means and having to ask for its english translation.  The school also has 3 activities a week in the afternoons.  Usually, movies or trying local food.  The classes, classmates, and teacher have been very enjoyable. 

  
Pics of school.





 Trying local Amazonian food with the school.  It wasnt real good.




Then moved out to Castillo Grande to start my PADI advanced SCUBA class that weekend.  Castillo Grande is a peninsula of land stretching from Cartagena proper. My hostel was just 1 block from the beach and 10 min walk to my SCUBA office.

I completed 2 of 6 dives that weekend.

Pics of the Old city.























Getsemani area










I then moved back to Cartagena but this time to a part of town called Getsemani.  It has a bit more night life and local vibe to it. I have been in this hostel now for over 2 weeks and I have really enjoyed it. They staff is super.  They are super friendly and even try to help my practice my Spanish.  I think Ill be sad to go this coming Friday.   I would recommend The Hostel Mama Waldy to anyone visiting the area. 

The folks in my class, luckily, have gotten along very well. We seem to stick together for dinners, night outing, beach visits, and etc. One week we visited the beach everyday after class. That made me one happy (and tan) girl.


We eat together.




We have also eaten street food together.



The above is called platacon...a plate with everything.  And it really has everything. Platanos, rice, cheese, sausage, chicken, beef, ham, corn, cabbage, and more!  Below is the epic burger.  IF you visit you must eat at the food cart with the orange roof in the plaza de trinidad in the evenings.





We explored el Castillo together









Did a day trip out to Playa Blanca.  An amazingly beautiful beach.






And we hang out at the Plaza de Trinidad regularly.




I have also finished up my diving course and am Advance Open Water Certified! 


What I have learned: Street food is the way to go.  And it has been re-affirmed that I love the latin american culture.  So warm and inviting.

Charlie is slang for cocaine.


No comments:

Post a Comment