My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Nov. 18, 2012 - Victoria Falls, Zambia


Nov. 18, 2012 - Victoria Falls

Last night we went on a dinner cruise on the upper Zambezi river.  We got to see an amazing sight.  A herd of elephants swam from an island to the mainland across the river.  They would go up and down in the water and stick just their trunks up for air.

Today we went to the World Heritage Site for Victoria Falls and walked around to see the falls from different angles.  On the way back Alene and I got chased by a baboon.  We saw the baboon ahead of us in the path.  I mentioned to everyone that we should pick up a stick in case it comes after us.  So I picked up a stick but no one else did.  He moved over to the side of the path and when we tried to pass Liz go by but he got up and started after Alene and I.  We began to back away quickly.  Apparently I wasnt using the stick properly because Alene stole MY STICK and started waving it around at the baboon.  Fortunately, it worked and the baboon backed up, but was still blocking our path.  I would like to point out that I had told everyone to grab a stick and when it came down to it....Alene STOLE MY STICK!!!! haha!

A man finally came to save us and ran the baboon off.  We gave him 20000 Kwacha for his help.  The best $4 I have ever spent.

Tonight we ate at an African restaurant where I ventured out and had crocodile for dinner! Yum!

What I have learned:
Victoria Falls is the largest waterfall in the world by volume.  There is a very drastic difference in the amount of water flowing over the edge between dry season and rainy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment