My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Friday, November 16, 2012

Nov. 16, 2012 - Livingstone, Zambia (Victoria Falls)


Nov. 16, 2012 - Livingstone, Zambia

Visa Fee: 50USD
Conversion rate: 1 USD = 5000 Zambian Kwacha

From Croc valley we drove to Lusaka.  The capital of Zambia.  On the way we got to stop along the Zambia/Mozambique border line and walk across (sneak into) Mozambique for a toilet stop.

  In Lusaka we stayed one night and had a little going away party for our driver and a welcome party for our new driver Tim.  We cooked up T-bones, fried taters, and grilled bananas.  Much fun was had by all that night as we played pool and danced to the 80's and 90's music videos on the TV.

In addition to a new driver, we are on a new truck. One that I dont really like.  The seat set up limits the space available to move around and there are no good sleeping spots anymore. :-(

From Lusaka we had a 8 hour drive to Livingstone.  We stopped for groceries and the ATM then headed off to camp.  Camp actually happens to be a man's house situated in the city with plenty of land for overlanders to pitch their tents.  Its a very nice place to be.  Walkable to restaurants and the grocery store.

We now have 9 people on our tour.

We will be in Livingstone for 4 nights.   I am thankful for that because it means I dont have to take down or put up a tent for 3 whole nights.  AND there is soooo much to do in this city.

Yesterday, 5 of us went on the whitewater Zambezi river trip.  We left our campground at 7am to head towards the river.   We picked up two other folks along the way.  We had to hike down the gorge to the river.  A steep but easy walk down.   In our boat there was the 5 of us, the 2 guys we picked up along the way and our guide.  Rafting down with us were 2 safety kayakers, one in front and one behind, a safety raft with 3 guys and our food and water, and a photo kayaker.  We set up right on the edge of rapid #1.  There will be 25 rapids in all.  We passed under the bungi jump bridge that connects Zambia and Zimbabwe.  The immediately hit rapid #2...where we got stuck for what seemed like over a minute.  We lost one guy to the rapids when we first hit (he was picked up by the safety kayak) but the rest of us we stuck in the boat on this rapid getting tossed about.  After the initial shock we realized our guide was having a great time whooping and hollering and once we figured out that was normal we too had fun! The raft got sloshed about and just when we thought we would be clear of the rapid the water would sweep the raft right back into the rapid.  It was thrilling!  There were many rapids where a person here or there got tossed and had to be picked up by the kayak.  There was one where just the left side of the boat got tossed, hah.  At this time Alene and I were the only ones that had not been tossed outta the raft.  It seems I spoke too soon when I pointed this out because soon after that the ENTIRE raft was flipped and even the guide got put in the water. He managed though to climb on top of the upside down raft.  The kayaks and safety raft eventually rounded us all up.  Included in our rafting trip was the opportunity to boogie board through some of the rapids.  After having done this I see just how crazy this is.  It was one of those things that you get excited for, but then when you see just how big the rapid is that youre about ride through on a piece of styrofoam and you know there is no turning back you about pee your pants.  I RODE THROUGH A CLASS 5 RAPID ON A PIECE OF SYROFOAM!!!!!!  Not to mention, as soon as I got into the water everyone spotted a crocodile on the side of the river. Uggh. Im glad I did it, but I do not need to ever do that again. EVER.   We had lunch on a calm slow part of the river, ham sandwich, apple and banana.  Then we prepared again for more big rapids.  The day was super fun and the rapids where intense.  On rapid 23 however I got tossed and swept under the raft.  I scrammbled towards the edge of the boat and the surface testing just how long I could hold my breath.  I reached the surface and gasped for air hoping the rapid was over.  It was not.  Another huge wave of water hit me and pushed me down.  Again I had to wonder just how long I would be able to hold my breath.  I kicked hard, hoping the surface and life where close.  It seemed like forever but I finally made it to the top and after a few more smaller rapids I was in the clear and a safety kayak picked me up so I could relax, catch my breath, and cough up all the water in my lungs.  Relief!  After finally getting back into the raft I found out my friends where VERY worried about me because I had gone under the water for so long and they couldnt see me.  They didnt know that I was just under the raft, under their feet.   Needless to say, I was done with the river after that.  I had had all the fun I needed for the day. Only 2 rapids left and we pulled on shore.  They had sodas and sandwiches waiting for us.  Then the cable car descended and took us to the top of the gorge.

Today I am super sore.  All my muscles hurt from 4 hours of paddling and swimming.  But what a great experience.  A total rush and great day!

Today we take a tour of the Livingstone island and for high tea.  High tea is british thing where you get tea and and cakes and light snacks.  Here we will also jump into Devil's pool.  A pool situated on the very edge of Victoria Falls where you can look over the edge to the bottom.  Sounds like another adrenaline rush!

I have commented verbally to bungi jumping from the river bridge.  Im a bit nervous.  But since the bungi line snapped earlier this year I know all the equiptment is new and I shouldnt worry too much.  Hopefully I will let you all know how that goes soon.

What I have learned:  The Zambezi river is one of the best whitewater rafting rivers in the world.  It's terrifying to think you may never reach the surface in stong whitewater current.

No comments:

Post a Comment