My Travel Path

My Travel Path

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Feb. 12 - 13, 2013 - Manila, Philippines

Feb. 12 - 13, 2013 - Manila, Philippines

We had a 1:45am flight to Manila.  Since the Singapore airport has lots of really cool stuff to do, like a movie theatre, botanical gardens, wii games, free wifi etc, we decided to arrive early to check in for our flight.  The gate opened 3 hours before take off time.  Excellent! Plenty of time to play!  Except that's not what happened.  We got to the check-in counter and the worker asked for our onward journey ticket.  What?!  That's right we needed a ticket out of the Philippines before they would even let us check in for our flight to the Philippines.  Ok.  Free internet, I guess we could easily pick a day to leave and fly there.  Our original plan was to ferry or fly (we hadn't decided) to Malaysian Borneo and hang out there for a week.  The flights to that airport however started at $200 one way.  A bit steep for our tastes.  We searched and searched and decided that we would fly to Brunei.  Brunei is a tiny country on the island of Borneo that borders the Malaysian part.  AND its only $85, perfect.  I go ahead and book my ticket with about 15% battery life left on my tablet.  Just in the nick of time.  However, Alene tries 3 times to book her flight and is unsuccessful all 3 times.  The easy fix is to visit the flight counter and book the ticket there.  We reach the counter with the flight number and time but the lady quotes a price that is almost half again the online price.  Frustrated, Alene, tries one last time to book the ticket, this time on my tablet and with a different credit card.  We cross our fingers (mostly bc Im worried Alene might throw my tablet if it doesnt work) and we finally have success! Ok, onward journey ticket booked.

After all this we dont have time to play in the airport and we spend our last S$10 at McDonalds.  Then board our flight.

We arrived in Manila around 5am and made it to our hostel around 6am.  Thankfully, there were beds open and we got to go to take a nap.

I had to get up early and head to the India Embassy in Manila to turn in my Visa application.  I rolled outta bed, dog tired, at 8:30, double checked I had all the necessary paperwork and money and took a cab to the embassy.  Once we got to the embassy gate we were not allowed to enter because only Indians are permitted.  After a bit of conversation the security guard gives me an address to the Indian Visa Office.  In a totally different part of town.  We head that way.  We locate the building after lots of asking for directions.  I enter the office and take my number, number 28.  When I first arrive they are on 21 and for the first 30 minutes no new numbers are called.  I think, this is going to take FOREVER.  I filled out some additional paperwork at the office and patiently waited for my number.  An hour later 28 is called.  I make my way to the counter expecting it to be quick because I have checked the website and double checked and have all the necessary info in hand.  Expect that there is a whole different list of expectations at the office.  My photo isnt the right size, I need bank statements, and I have to book a ticket to India not just one out of India.  That last one doesnt make much sense to me.  Why would I book a $900 ticket to India if there is a chance I will be denied a visa to enter!?!?!?!??!?!??????????  With a sad face I start my work on booking a ticket and printing bank statements.  I first print my bank statements.  The computer is super slow but it works and its free to use.  Thanks visa office!  Then I search out a ticket from New Zealand to India.  Luckily, I had been on the look out for this ticket for a while and the prices had gone up so I bit the bullet and bought the flight. They took new pictures of me for a small fee. Then I turned over my passport and and documentation to the visa office.  All I do now is wait 7-10 business days for the visa...hopefully.

I made it back to hostel a bit after noon, ate, then took another loooooooong nap.  That night we visited a local restaurant and helped a fellow backpacker celebrate his birthday.

What I have learned:
You have to have an onward journey flight booked to enter the Philippines.
You have to have an entry and exit flight booked before India will even consider letting you into the country.



No comments:

Post a Comment